Dr. Marie Fernandes
Prof. Dr. Marie Fernandes
M.A, D.H.E, Ph.D
Present position: Principal, St Andrew’s College, St. Dominic Road, Bandra, Mumbai 50
Research Guide at University of Mumbai.
Elected member- Board of Studies in English, University of Mumbai,
Second consecutive term : Member of the Local Inquiry Committee, University of Mumbai.
Member of the Selection Committee, University of Mumbai
Adviser on the Interview Board for Staff Selection Commission (UPSC)
Member of Committee Under Section 32(5)(a) of Maharashtra
Universities Act, 1991, to recommend Paper-setters, Moderators.
Vice-Chancellor’s Nominee for various Selection Committees
Received the prestigious “International Visitor’s Leadership Award” by the US Department of State to visit Colleges and Universities across the USA. 1-19 February 2010.
- Best Principal Award
- Most Admired Degree College of Commerce from Asian Customer Engagement Forum – at Taj, Land’s End on 6 December 2014
Minor Research Project
Received a Research Grant of Rs. 35,000 from the UGC to undertake a minor research project – “Symbolism of Dreams and Shadows in Religion and Literature” for 2009-2011
Attended a course entitled Text and Context: British and Irish Literature from 1900 to the Present at the University of Edinburgh, Scotland in July 2005.
- Attended an International Conference at the invitation of His Eminence, Cardinal Peter Turkson, President of the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace on “Women and the Post-2015 Development Agenda: The Challenges of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), at Via dei Torre Rossa 94, Rome, from 22-24 May 2015
- Resource Person and Chaired a Session; “The Feeble Heartbeat of the Dispossessed” at International Seminar on Narratives of Nativism in World Literature Organized by Department of English, Department of English, Kumari Vidyavati Anand DAV College for Women, Karnal Haryana and The Shakespeare Association (India), 8-10 October 2014.
- Chaired a Session and Paper Presented: “Shakespeare’s Forests and the Celebration of Common Humanity”, at the VI International Seminar on The Republic in Shakespeare. Organized by the Department of English, University of Jammu and The Shakespeare Association (India), 16-18 October 2013.
- Attended a World Congress at the invitation of His Eminence, Cardinal Peter Turkson, President of the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace (PCJP) to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Encyclical Letter Pacem in Terris of Blessed Pope John XXIII, Rome, 2-4 October 2013.
- Paper presented, “Preparing Undergraduates to Face the Challenges of the Real World”, presented at the XIV International Conference of the Forum on Contemporary Theory. The theme of the conference was – Transcending Disciplinary Decadence: Exploring Challenges of Teaching, Scholarship and Research in the Humanities and the Social Sciences, Jaipur, 18-21 December 2011.
- Paper presented, “Reconstruction of Galatea from White Marble to Mechanical Cyborg”, presented at the XIII International Conference of the Forum on Contemporary Theory. The theme of the conference was – The Virtual Transformation of the Public Sphere, Chandigarh, 15-18 December 2010.
- Paper presented “Anthropological and Culinary Customs of Different Religions In India” for Conviviality Day organized by the Cardinal Paul Poupard Foundation for Inter-Religious and Inter-Cultural Dialogue – Milan, Italy on 29 November 2010.
- Paper presented, “Political Conquests and Sexual Metaphors”, presented at the XII International Conference of the Forum on Contemporary Theory. The theme of the conference was “The Political Economy of Social Division: race, Gender Class and Caste as Fetishized / Fetishizing Borders. Trivandrum, 15-17 December 2009.
- Paper presented, “Dorothy Gale’s Performance in The Wonderful Wizard of Oz”, presented at the Third International Conference of Children’s Literary Association of India hosted by University of Mumbai. The theme of the Conference is “Learning Wisdom at their Knee: Engaging with Children’s Literature”, 19-20 January 2009.
- Paper presented, “Phoenix Rising: Enlightenment through Technology” presented at the Eleventh International Conference of the Forum on Contemporary Theory in collaboration with Banaras Hindu University, Banaras. The theme of the Conference was “Democracy in Our Time: The Past and Future of Enlightenment. 18-21 December 2008.
- Paper presented, “Jungle Stories: A Theatre of Catharsis and Revelation” presented at the Second International Conference of the Children’s Literary Association of India hosted by St. Aloysius College, Mangalore, from 10 to 12 January 2008.
- Paper presented, “Polyphonic Discourses to Appraise Text as Territory” presented at the Tenth International Conference of the Forum on Contemporary Theory in collaboration with Goa University, Goa. The theme of the Conference was: “Thinking Territory: Affect and Attachment towards Land in South Asia.”, 16 to 19 December 2007.
- Paper presented and published entitled “Indian Women Writers Twice Marginalised” at the Conference India: Fifty Years After Independence at the Universitat De Barcelona and Universitat Autonoma De Barcelona, Spain, 28 September 1997.
- Paper Presented: “Women: The Incredible Wealth of a Nation”, at Conference for Vice Chancellors and Principals of Member Institutions of AIACHE on the theme ‘Perspectives on Nation Building: A New Agenda for Higher Education’, held at Christ University, Bengaluru from 29 to 31 January 2015
- Paper Presented: “College and University Education to Foster Peace” at Conference of Catholic Bishops of India (CCBI) Theological and Doctrinal Commission, Celebrating 50 years of Vatican II: From Vatican II to Lumen Fidei. National Symposium on Church Doctrine. Goregaon, Mumbai, 25 to 27 October 2013
- Paper presented, ‘Human Values Development for Nation Building’ at Conference for Vice Chancellors and Principals of Member Institutions of AIACHE on the theme: ‘Inspiring Institutions of Higher Education for Nation Building – Opportunities and Challenges. Also Regional Coordinator for Presentation of Nation Building Initiatives of Universities and Colleges in Chhatisgarh, Goa, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra. Conference held at Christ University, Bangalore, 1 to 3 May 2013.
- Paper presented and published, ‘Academic Performance Index for Principals’, at 14th National Conference of the Association of Indian College Principals