Department of Accountancy
|CA Kevin Michael Miranda||M.Com; FCA||Assistant Professor|
|Jyoti M Bhatia||M.Com; ACS; ACMA; LLB; NET||Assistant Professor|
|Rachel George||M.Com; FCA; CPA (USA);, NET||Assistant Professor|
Activities of Accountancy Association 2018-19
- The Department of Accountancy along with Women’s Development Cell organised 20 Hours training program on Goods & Service Tax for empowerment and skill development of the girl students of our college. The course commenced on 1st July 2018 which marked the Platinum Jubilee Celebration of The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) and also GST day to 10th July, 2018. The course was organized in collaboration with Career Counselling Group of Western India Regional Council (WIRC) of the ICAI. Speakers include CA Archana Yadav, CA Arvind Saraf, CA Vishnu Gavkare, CA Prerana Shah and CA Rupal Haria. Coverage of the sessions included introduction to GST, supply, levy of collection, place, time and value of supply, input tax credit, Registration, Invoice, Records, and Payment of GST along with GST returns. 62 girl students from S.Y.B.Com and T.Y.B.Com undertook the training.
- A certificate course on ‘Income from Salaries – Computation & E-filing of Returns’ was conducted by the Department of Accountancy, which commenced on 19th July, 2018 and concluded on 10th August, 2018. Since commencement, this was the third batch of this course. There were 37 participants – 36 students from various courses and classes such as FY/SY/TY and 1 parent. This is a 20 hours course wherein the participants learnt basics of Income Tax – such as Residential Status, Income from Salary, Income from Other Sources, relevant Deductions from Gross Total Income. This course also trained the participants online i.e. e-filing of income tax return filed by Individuals having Income from Salary and Income from Other Sources and procedures prior to and post filing of online return with respect to assessment year 2018-19. Notes were also provided to the participants. Weekly two tax classes of 2 hours were scheduled to enable the course to be completed within a month. The Resource Person for this course was CA Vishnu Gavkare, a practicing Chartered Accountant and a registered faculty with the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India
- A lecture on International Career Opportunities in Finance was conducted for BCOM students by Dr. Nirmala Joshi, Research Guide, MET Institute on 24th September, 2018. The session included Career prospects in the field of Accountancy, Finance and Banking outside India, courses available, examination schedule, and job opportunities. 46 BCOM students attended the session.
- As an initiative of World investor week promoted by International Organisation of Securities Commission, a lecture on Financial Goal Planning was organized. The speaker was Krupa Desai, Certified Financial Analyst & Certified Financial Risk Manager, BIAP. He covered his talk on investment options, digital payments, demat accounts and mutual funds. The lecture was held on 1st October, 2018
- A visit to the library on 1st August, 2018 for TYBCOM students for Reviewing Cost Accountancy reference books.
- On 11th February 2019, a session wherein FYBCom students were provided an opportunity to express their views on various areas covered under Union Budget. They also displayed articles and highlights on the Union Budget.
- Weekly display of Newspaper Articles by students along with comments on Accountancy Notice board
CA VISHNU GAVKARE talking to students on Goods & Service Tax for empowerment and skill development of the girl students
CA PRERANA SHAH along with Principal, Department of Accountancy Members and Women Development Cell Members during session on Goods & Service Tax for empowerment and skill development of the girl students.
|Online training on||INCOME TAX CERTIFICATE COURSE|
Activities of Accountancy Association 2017-18
ICAI & GST Day:
- On 1st July, 2017, ICAI FOUNDATION DAY & GST DAY was celebrated: Students prepared charts encouraging students to join Chartered Accountancy course. GST AWARENESS DRIVE was conducted by asking students to submit articles on GST reflecting their opinion. Lectures were taken for SYBCOM & TYBCOM students to reflect the changes in Indirect Taxation and its impact on various stakeholders. 159 students of BCOM attended the session
- On 10th July, 2017, CA Deep Desai, Partner, M/s SLM & Co. spoke to 69 BCom students on GST. The talk included Accounting aspects, impact of GST on Wholesalers, Retailers and Consumers. The session gave a practical approach towards Billing after GST, returns to be filed and problems faced by Manufacturers to adopt GST.
- On 10th October, 2017 Nirmala Joshi of MET Institute spoke to 52 TYBCOM students on ‘Career opportunities in Finance’. The talk covered Career prospects in the field of Accountancy, Finance, Banking and Insurance outside India, Courses available, Examination schedule, and Job opportunities.
- On December 18, 2017, Dhruvi Dharia, Co- founder, Intern theory spoke to 152 BCom students on ‘Careers in Stock markets’ and ‘ONLINE STOCK MARKET . He conducted a Mock Stock session reflecting importance of Stock Markets courses and its job prospects.
- On 11th January,2018, the department organized NSE FIN QUIZ 2017-2018 -AN INCAMPUS QUIZ- Preliminary round. 472 students from BCOM, BMS, BBI and BAF appeared for the Quiz. 6 students were selected for Final round.
- On 18th January, 2018, 40 BCom students visited the ICAI CORPORATE EXPO 2018 at Worli. This event assisted in popularizing commerce education in the Changing Business World and providing avenues arising from the same in areas of FIN-TECK, Capital Market and Investment Banking. 5 of our students assisted as event supporters
- On 3rd February, 2018, two students from FYBCOM B division Mr. Christo Varghese and Mr. Samuel Sequeira attended the FINBRIDGE EXPO at Nehru Centre, Mumbai
The Financial Services & Technology Exhibition and Conferences’ is an exclusive exhibition for the Financial & Capital Market sectors
The expo had different financial firms like Latin Mahindra and Elearnmarkets. The expo was followed by a conference. They have enrolled for the ‘Free Financial Market Expert Certification Course’ worth Rs.2,500 for students attending the Expo
- On 7th Febuary, 2018, TYBCOM Tax students presented an analysis of the UNION BUDGET 2018. 57 students attended the session on the analysis of the union budget.
The alumnus of our college, Miss Deborah D’souza and Francesca Toscano, were the judges for the event. The twenty participants were divided into four groups. Each group offered different opinions on The Union Budget.
The participants were awarded merit certificates and cash prizes. The judges provided their valuable feedback and the session ended with a round of applause for the participants.
- Throughout the Year the students displayed on the notice board articles related to Accounts, Finance and Tax.
Activities of Accountancy Association 2016-17
- On 1st July, 2017, ICAI FOUNDATION DAY was celebrated. Students prepared charts encouraging students to join Chartered Accountancy course.
- On 26th July , 2016 a lecture on the Indian Economy titled “Express Talk – The Indian Economy” was conducted. 109 BCOM & BA students participated in the session.
- On 4th August, 2016 a lecture on career Guidance- Getting the Edge in MBA (Finance) and ACCA (UK) was conducted. 124 BCOM students attended the session.
- On 13th January 2017, a talk on ‘Understanding Demonetisation Impact on Stock Markets’ & Mock Stock Session was organized and was attended by 144 students.
- On 18th February , 2017 a guest lecture on Auditing was organised and attended by 207 students
- On 25th June, 2016 93 students of TYBCom visited the ‘Indian School of Management & Entrepreneurship’ for ENTREPRENEURIAL BOOTCAMP.
- On 27th January, 2017, 55 students of BCom visited National Stock Exchange.
- On 20th December, 2016, a competition ‘Express your opinion on DEMONETISATION’ was initiated.
- On 10th August, 2016, GST Awareness Campaign was organized.
- The Department also updated students on current trends in country by regularly displaying newspaper articles related to Accountancy, Finance and Taxation on Accountancy Notice Board.
- On 8th February, 2017, the first Certificate course on Basic Income Tax for an Individual was started by the Department of Accountancy. 20 students enrolled from the BCom & BA section including two faculties.
Department of Accountancy
1. Mr. Kevin Miranda
2. Ms. Jyoti Bhatia
3. Ms. Rachel George
Academic Year 2015-2016
- ICAI FOUNDATION DAY -JULY 1, 2015
Accountancy Association students assisted in creating awareness of CA course by giving Handouts and displaying charts about CA course.
- CAREER AWARENESS SESSION BY ICMAI -JULY 28,2015
Representatives of Institute of Cost Accountants of India (ICMAI) conducted a Career awareness Lecture on Cost accountancy course. CMA Akshay Shah, Director, Dios Marketing Pvt Ltd. and CMA Kailash Gandhi, Chairman, PD committee, WIRC guided students about the various stages and subjects covered by CMA course and answered all the queries raised by the students about the course. Coverage of topics also included Trainings required during the courses and Prospects of the course as practice and in employment. 65 students attended the session.
- SEBI VISIT- NOVEMBER 27,2015
In order to gain insight into the functioning and regulation of the various stock exchanges and capital markets in India, a visit to the Indian market regulator, the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) Head Office in Bandra-Kurla Complex was organized for the Bachelor of Commerce students . 72 BCOM students attended the visit.
Mr.Srikant Mishra, Assistant General Manager, spoke about the inception of SEBI and its role as a market regulator. He also explained several principles of investing in various financial instruments such as shares, debentures, mutual funds, etc.
The SEBI officers explained their Investor Education initiative titled “Har Investor kiTaaqat”.Students learnt about a variety of useful security and safety measures that would enable them to protect their investments. They were also given the SEBI helpline number for resolution of grievances of investors.
- BSE VISIT -DECEMBER 11,2015
A visit to the Bombay Stock Exchange was arranged for 42 students of the Bachelor of Commerce course.
The BSE Institute held an interactive session for the students on the functioning of the stock exchange. Mr. Rakesh Nayar began with the history of BSE and its evolution from a small gathering of traders in pre-independent India to one of the biggest stock exchanges in the world. He explained how technology has replaced the old “outcry” system of brokers to accessible computer based trading systems. Various concepts such as Novation, types of brokers and investors, the Sensex, Large cap, midcap and smallcap stocks, etc. were explained.
It was impressive for students to get knowledge about the computer systems which operated at fast speeds of 6 microseconds and the mission critical operational efficiency of the BSE officials. Mr. Roy also gave a brief gist of the various certificate courses in financial management offered by the BSE. The BSE officials addressed the various doubts and clarifications sought. They offered advice to students who plan to pursue a career in finance.
- Seminar on FINANCIAL PLANNING BY INTERNATIONAL COLLEGE OF FINANCIAL PLANNING- DECEMBER 15,2015
Mr. Chaitanya Shethe, Business Development Executive and Mr. Sachin Sutar Manager, International College of Financial Planning (c/o Kirandevi Saraf Institute of Complete Learning) conducted a seminar for TYBCOM students on Financial Planning. The coverage of Topics included Overview of Capital Markets, Concept of Financial planning, Scope of Wealth Management in India and benefits of having a professional Qualification on Financial Planning. Twenty six TYBCOM students attended the session.
- Workshop on FINANCIAL FUNDAMENTALS AND MOCK STOCK EXCHANGE SESSION by MR. PURV SHAH – DECEMBER 16,2015
Hundred BCom students participated in the event wherein an interactive session by Purv Shah, Stock Consultant and Trainer, BSE was conducted to explain various Financial Fundamentals. After brief summary and rules of the Game by the speaker, participants were asked to trade in Mock stock- Outcry system with initial cash deposit of Rs. 1,00,000 . 5 Volunteers acted as brokers for 10 scripts. Continuous flash of market news to analyze its impact on Stock made the session more interesting and markets more volatile. Students who earned highest profit from trading in Shares were awarded with gifts. The session ended with discussion students experiences on best buy, worst sell, mistakes made during trading etc made participants to enhance their decisive capabilities while trading in practical manner.
- GUEST LECTURE ON FUTURE PROSPECTS OF MBA IN FINANCE BY DR. NIRMALA JOSHI – JANUARY 7,2016
Dr. Nirmala Joshi, Ph.d in Finance & Accounting, Research Head, MET institute conducted a session on ‘FUTURE PROSPECTS OF MBA IN FINANCE’. She explained the student’s prospects of MBA and ACCA courses and its job prospects in various countries. Eighty Eight students from various streams attended the session.
- Find MVAT Rate Competition
The ‘Find MVAT Rate’ competition was held on Saturday, 13th February 2016 at 7.30 a.m in L.S Raheja College of Arts & Commerce, Santacruz, wherein four of our Direct Indirect Tax students took part. The chief guest for this event, shared with the students, past experiences of his college life and his career in sales tax (Indirect tax). He also interacted with the audience by means of questions and logical reasoning of the MVAT rate for each commodity and gave them case studies accordingly. Though our students did not win the competition, they found the whole process educative, informative and practical. Certificates were given to the participants of the competition.
- Indirect Tax Workshop
An Indirect Tax Workshop was organized by Prof. CA Rachel George on Wednesday, 24th February, 2016 in the college from 9.30 am to 11.30 am for the students who have opted for Direct Indirect Tax (DIT)as their elective in TYBCom (63 students have opted for DIT). The speaker for the workshop was Prof CA Sanjay Dagia, a very senior professor from MMK College, Bandra and also a practicing Chartered Accountant
The workshop was informative and the notes given were lucid & comprehensible. It enabled the students to get a fair idea of the question paper pattern, the type and manner of questions asked, weightage given to each chapter for each question and the technique of preparing oneself for the university examination.
Academic year 2014-15:
The student members of the Accounts Association prepared charts highlighting the salient features of the Union Budget of India for the year 2014-2015,which was presented in Parliament by Mr.Arun Jaitley, the Finance Minister of India, on the 10th of July, 2014, The charts brought out the financial and social effects of the proposed budget. They also touched upon details such as the Government’s bold plan to set up new AIIMS, IITs and IIMs, construction of Crisis Management Centers for women at all government hospitals in NCR regions and new airports to be developed under Public-Private Partnership (PPP) mode. Other details like basic income tax exemptions, strategies for the Public Sector Units, investment of Rs 10 billion(US $160 million) for rail connectivity in the North-East region were also explained in brief.
On 18th November 2014, a visit to the NATIONAL STOCK EXCHANGE (NSE) was organized for the First Year Bachelor of Commerce students to gain an understanding of the stock market and its regulations. Professors Jyoti Bhatia and Jinal Sampat from the Accountancy Department accompanied 65 students on a visit to the NSE in Bandra-Kurla Complex. The students were warmly welcomed by Mr.Anil Jawaharani from the SBU Educational Department of the NSE.
The NSE organized three sessions to educate students of various aspects of the markets. The first session on the “Equity Segment in Exchange’ was taken byMiss Snehal from the Capital Markets Operation Department. Mr. Kapil from the Derivatives Market Department followed with a speech on “Equity Derivatives”. Miss Maria from the NCFM Department briefed the students on the NSE Certificates in Financial Market. Students interacted with the above experts and got an opportunity to get a better understanding of the markets.
A session on ‘An Insight on Practical Approach of Manufacturing Industries’ showing processing in various industries was organized on December 20, 2014 for the students of TY BCom. Coverage of processing industries include gloves making industry, chocolate industry, juice making factory, football industry and wafer making industry . Various stages of production from assembling of raw materials to the final stage of finished product in each industry were discussed and cost per unit was computed at the end of each process. At each stage varying levels of inputs and the final output with the normal losses generated were analyzed. The impact of the goods still in production was reflected in the Balance sheet of the company to help students understand the importance of cost accounting along with financial accounting. Through the session students got a practical exposure on the process of products as they understood how the costs were incurred at each stage, its allocations and how the costing of final product was done. It has enabled them to learn something new beyond the traditional classroom environment teaching method. The session has given an opportunity of gaining some extra knowledge for those students who wish to pursue a career in the manufacturing industry in the future.
Besides the above, the Department regularly displayed articles from Newspaper/ Magazine on Notice Board. These articles related to Accountancy, Taxation and Finance.
Visit to NSE Display of Budget Charts
An Insight on Practical Approach of Manufacturing Industries
Academic year 2013-2014:
1st July 2013: the TYBCom students assisted in Celebration of ICAI Foundation Day by giving handouts and displaying charts about the CA course, collecting database of CA students and ex- students, and creating awareness about CA course.
A session was also conducted by the guest speakers- CA Vishnu Gavkare and CA Naveen Rohatgi and Prof. CA Kevin Miranda. They familiarized the students about the course and its future prospects. 70 students from the BCom section attended the session.
10th July 2013: Representatives of The Institute of Company Secretaries of India conducted a lecture on “Company Secretary as A Career Option”. CS Kaushik Zaveri guided the students about the various stages and subjects covered by the CS course and answered all the queries raised by the students about the course. Example of students clearing their CS exams before completion of Graduation left students with a note to follow footsteps and have confidence in themselves. 77 students attended this session.
25th July 2013: 61 F.Y.BCom students visited NSE (National Stock Exchange). The NSE officials – Mr. Abhijeet Soantake gave an introduction on Cash Markets, Ms. Prakriti Dabral conducted a session on practical aspects of Derivatives Market and online NEAT trading system, Ms. Maria Matos focused on NCFM certifications and encouraged the students to appear NCFM’s Online Certification Exam.
26th August 2013: Mr.Elson Sequeira our ex-student conducted a session for the TY.BCom Students on “How to face a Job Interview and prepare a CV. He also gave students some tips on how to present oneself while appearing for an interview. 120 students took advantage of this session.
11th December 2013: A Session by Ms. Premila Coutinho (Asst. Manager, Investor Service Cell, NSEIL) for BCom students created awareness on investor protection. She covered establishment, functions and role of NSE and investor protection cell. She made students aware of the risks involved in trading in securities market and do’s and don’ts while deciding to make an investment. Mr. Pinakin Pimpalkhare (Academic Trainee, Investor Service Cell, NSEIL) shared his practical experience regarding handling investor complaints over telephones and cases of investors having various issues on old investments.
6th Feb 2014: 67 students of T.Y.Bcom students vsited SEBI and participated in the session conducted by CA Avinash Singh, Assistant Manager in OIAE department of NSE and CA ShivaRama P. Krishnan, Assistant General Manager in OIAE department of NSE. This session covered topics like Introduction to SEBI, Securities Market, Products in securities Market, Benefit to Investor in Securities Market, Rolling Settlement, Opening of DMAT account, Mutual Funds, Gold Investment, Collective Investment Scheme and Grievance Redressal Mechanism.
15th Feb 2014: C.A. Suresh Dhoot conducted a lecture on Service Tax And its implications. Fifty six students of TYBCom attended this session. The topics covered under this session were Introduction to Service tax, Point of Taxation and valuation of Services. He also gave students tips of how to appear for a Indirect Taxation Paper, General guidelines of how to reduce and manage stress in the Corporate world.
The Department also regularly displayed on the accountancy notice board articles about Accountancy & finance, taken from the newspapers and magazines. Students also contributed by giving their comments and views on the articles.
Academic year 2012-13:
On June 22, 2012, a guest lecture was conducted on ‘COMPANY SECRETARY AS A CAREER OPTION’ by ICSI giving an overview to students about the course. 70 students from FYBCom and TYBCom attended the lecture. CS Raj familiarized the students with the course and its future prospects. He also answered the queries raised by students about the course.
Students of FYBCom celebrated ICAI FOUNDATION DAY from June 30, 2012 to July 2, 2012 by displaying various charts about the CA course and its importance. Handouts were also given to students motivating them to undergo Chartered Accountancy course along with their BCom course.
Students of BCom visited SEBI on July 19, 2012 wherein they participated in discussions on Introduction to SEBI and Investor Protection Laws. Students also visited BSE on August 6, 2012 wherein they attended lectures by eminent speakers on various topics such as financial ecosystems, its nomenclatures consisting of policy makers, regulators, intermediaries, service providers, issuers, borrowers and investors. Students were also informed about various courses offered by BSE Institute Ltd.
Sixty students of FYBCom visited NSE on December 12, 2012. Sessions on overview of NSE, Cash Market, Derivative Market, Currency Derivative and NCFM’s Online Certification Exam were conducted at the NSE for the students.
A seminar on Career in Financial Markets & Mock Stock session in association with Bombay Stock Exchange was conducted on December 20, 2012 in the A.V. room. At this seminar, students were given guidance on Cash Markets, Commodity Markets and Trading Fundamentals by Mr. Purv Shah, Stock Consultant & Trainer, (Equities, Commodities & Forex). The seminar included a Mock Trading Session which gave a practical insight into open outcry trading system. Students were given a mock Sauda Block consisting of 500 shares of 15 different companies along with Opening Cash balance of Rs. 25 Lakhs. Students were awarded with prizes and certificates for availing highest portfolio, best buy and best sell transaction. It was a learning experience for 90 students to take right investment decisions at right time while trading in shares.
The Department also regularly displayed articles on Accountancy notice board. The articles pertained to Accountancy and Finance and were taken from Newspapers and Magazines wherein students also contributed by giving their comments and views on the articles.
VISIT FOR FYBCOM & SYBCOM STUDENTS AT NSE AND STUDENTS PARTICIPATING IN TRADING AT MOCK STOCK SESSION
Academic year 2011-12:
30 June, 2011: A guest lecture was conducted for students of F.Y.B.Com, S.Y.B.Com and T.Y.B.Com. Prof. CA Suresh Dhoot spoke on ‘Service Tax & its Implications’, which not only constitutes a part of the T.Y.B.Com syllabus, but is also relevant to common man.
17 July, 2011: Students of FYBCom Attended Visit to Education Forum, 2011. It was organized by Times of India at Nehru Centre. It provided an insight to students about Universities/Colleges offering variety of course, at National and International Level. The courses were related to the field of Accountancy, Financial Analyst, Fashion Designing, Graphic Designing, Retail Management, Interior Designing, Animations, Aviation, Fitness management, Photography and Jewellery designing.
29 July, 2011: A guest Lecture was conducted on ‘CS AS A CAREER OPTION’ giving an overview to students about the course. 100 students from FYBCom and SYBCom attended the lecture. It ended with a Question & answer session, wherein the queries raised by the students about the course, were answered by the speakers.
1 August, 2011: Students of the Accounts Association Ms. Elizabeth Vallado & Ms. Periwinkle Miranda from TYBCom, framed an accounts based Puzzle, for the FYBCom students. The students were given 15 days for submission of the puzzle answers, after which the answers were displayed on the Notice Board. The Puzzle Quiz gave an insight to the students on concepts in Accounting assets and improved their analytical skills.
- August, 2011: Students of FYBCom visited NSE. At the NSE sessions on overview of NSE, Cash Market, Derivative Market, Currency Derivative and NCFM’s Online certification Exam were conducted. 80 students participated in the
- August, 2011: Students of FYBCom & TYBCom visited BSE, wherein the students participated in Mock Stock exchange Programme.(1st & 2nd Prize won by St.Andrew’s College students in Mock Stock )
2 September, 2011: An essay writing competition was organized for FYBCom students on topics based on Financial Trends in Current scenario.
- November, 2011: The department conducted “TEACH ACCOUNTANCY TO A LAYMAN “a competition for FYBCom students to lay innovative styles on Accounting terms.
- November, 2011: 11 students participated in the reputed ALL INDIA NATIONAL ACCOUNTING TALENT SEARCH EXAMS, wherein two SYBCom students scored between 80-90 percentage and the rest scored over first
1 December, 2011: A guest Lecture was conducted on,‘CAREER GUIDANCE ON MBA’ by Ms. Amruta Parvatikar on behalf of MET institute giving insight to FYBCom and TYBCom students , on MBA as a career option,
3 December, 2011: With current boom in the media industry and growing opportunities in the media sector, a guest lecture on “Careers in media industry” by Ex-Andrean, Mr Elson Sequeira was organized to create awareness on the current industry scenario and to enlighten the students on the various prospects and careers that are offered by the media industry after graduation. 100 students attended the same.
Besides the above, the Department regularly displayed on Notice Board articles from Newspaper/Magazine. The articles related to Accountancy/ Finance.
Guest Lecture on Service Tax
& its implications. Visit to BSE
Academic year 2010-2011:
|Date||Topics||Name of persons( Speaker)|
|Career Guidance Lecture on‘COMPANY SECRETARY’||Lacchmi Bhatt, Desk Officer, ICSI|
|A Career Guidance Lecture by SMILE INSTITUTE on ‘ CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PROGRAMMER’||Mr.Vidhu Mehta,Assistant Manager (Mkt. & Development), F. P S B. Anu Binni,CEO, Smile Education Pvt Ltd.|
|“INDUSTRY EXPECTATIONS FROM FRESH GRADUATES’||Elson Sequeira, Ex-Student|
|11th January 2011||Career Guidance Lecture on MBA||Ms. Amruta Parvatikar|
|A VISIT TO NSE||Aditya Jadhav|